TWIST Eats: Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup-a-licious
SLOW COOKER BLISSFUL BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
courtesy of Skinnytaste
Being a gluten free, semi-vegetarian, kid friendly, low carb, high protein household, it’s hard to find a recipe that fits all the varied tastes and demands. We love the options on Skinnytaste – they are easy, fun, whole, and there’s something for all the “special” dietary needs under our roof.
This week, the butternut squash were looking extra yummy at the store so, we found ourselves home with one and lots of options on this site. From treaty gratins, to breakfast burrito bowls, to lasagna rolls…the options are endless.
This soup won out because it was the easiest and we happened to have all the ingredients in the pantry. Well, not totally true – I substituted garlic and green onion for shallots, but no biggie. That’s how we roll…about 90% recipe/10% making-it-work.
I paired my bowl with a green salad, one kid had a cheese quesadilla on the side, the other had a grilled salami and cheese on an english muffin. Everyone was happy and I knew they were getting a nice dose of betacarotene and vitamin A. ”
Adulting” A+ as far as I’m concerned.
- 16 oz (1/2 small) butternut squash, halved, seeds removed
- 16 oz (1/2) buttercup or kobacha squash, halved, seeds removed but not peeled (I used acorn bc it’s what we had)
- 2 large shallot, quartered (or garlic/onion combo)
- 2 cup chicken or vegetable broth (or 1-1/2 tbsp Better Bouillon w/water)
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk (I used whole because — well, you know)
optional garnish: drizzle coconut milk, chives, pepitas (I sprinkled hemp seeds and red paper flakes on mine)
- Place the squash, shallots and broth in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high 4 hours, until soft and cooked through, a knife should easily be inserted.
- Remove squash from skin and discard the peel.
- Stir in coconut milk and nutmeg.
- Blend in a blender or using an immersion blender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish with more coconut milk and chives, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving:
Smart Points: 2
Points +: 4
Total Fat: 3g
Saturated Fat: 1.5g
Read more at http://www.skinnytaste.com/slow-cooker-blissful-butternut-squash/#5kWIuRlrSoGkqJ1f.99