TWIST Eats: Sally’s Yummy Cheese Bites
It’s a New Year and we are all planning our healthiest one yet. But, that doesn’t mean we don’t want yummy stuff. Sally Goerges, COO of Metabolic Research Center, and Twist Yoga regular, to the rescue. These easy, low-carb, gluten free, and very adaptable cheese crackers/biscuits are a great way to start.
Original recipe from yummly.
4 ozs cheddar cheese (shredded 1 cup)
3 ozs almond flour (1 cup)
2 tbsps butter
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
Total Time 40 mins
Mix all of the ingredients well with a spoon until they form a soft dough. Divide between 6 muffin top pans, and press to make flat rounds. Or, see the variation below with a baking sheet.
Bake at 350º about 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
Best served while still warm from the oven. But, while you are at it, make a ton and freeze.
- Or, drop 6 mounds of dough onto a small parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes. Check them after 15 minutes and add more time, if needed. You can make more or less; depending on what you want to use them for.
- Add cayenne and cumin pepper for a spicy version
- Add your favorite chopped fresh or dried herb
- Add chopped ham for an “all in one biscuit”
- Add black pepper and turmeric for an ayurvedic twist
- Add chopped red bell peppers, jalapeños, and/or black olives
- Add chopped pecans and top with cream cheese and Kelly’s Jelly
- Trade the garlic powder for onion or curry powder
- Top with salmon, vegan chive cream, capers, and red onions
- Change up the cheese: Mozzarella for an Italian twist. Top with sauce and basil
- We haven’t tried these with vegan cheese or any other flours, but would love to hear your experience.
Makes 6 large biscuits, or 10-12 small crackers; depending on size
Per Serving: 205 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 3.5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs