Remember in the 80s when we were all eating “fat-free” and you could eat as many bagels as you wanted? You were gonna get skinny, and all would be well in the world.
Needless to say, that didn’t work. Sigh. And don’t get us started on shoulder pads.
We don’t know about you, but we miss those days.
We stumbled upon this recipe one day and happened to have all the ingredients on hand. So, we made them. We proceeded to eat 3 out of 4 in a half hour. Suffice it to say — they were good. Really good. Add cream cheese, capers, and red onions for the win.
Recipe from one of our fave blogs< Skinnytaste.com
- 1 cup (5 oz) unbleached all-purpose flour, whole wheat or gluten-free mix*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (make sure it’s not expired or it won’t rise)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (use less if using table salt)
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt (not regular yogurt, it will be too sticky)
- 1 egg white, beaten (whole egg works fine too)
- (optional toppings: everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic flakes, dried onion flakes)**
- Preheat oven to 375F. Place parchment paper or a Silpat on a baking sheet. If using parchment paper, spray with oil to avoid sticking.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well. Add the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined, it will look like small crumbles.
- Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 15 turns (it should not leave the dough on your hand when you pull away).
- Divide into 4 equal balls. Roll each ball into 3/4-inch thick ropes and join the ends to form bagels. (or you can make a ball and poke a hole in the center then stretch it slightly)
- Top with egg wash and sprinkle both sides with the seasoning of your choice. Bake on the top rack of the oven for 25 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before cutting.
More yummy easy fun gluten free vegan recipes
TWIST Eats: Easy Healthy Bagel Recipe
Remember in the 80s when we were all eating “fat-free” and you could eat as many bagels as you wanted? You were gonna get skinny, and all would be well in the world. Needless to say, that didn’t work. Sigh. And don’t get us started on shoulder pads. We don’t know about you, but we…Read More ›
Twist Eats: 10 minute lunch - Veggie Bowl of LOVE
Yes, we know … healthy lunches are a struggle. Eating on the run, drive-thru, protein bars, and another cup of coffee sometimes takes the place of what you really need … A FAST & HEALTHY LUNCH that will fuel the rest of your day. Well, check this recipe out – 10 minutes of prep and…Read More ›
TWIST Eats: One Day Vegan Mason Jar Meal Plan
We dig the recipe site TASTEMADE and love this easy vegan gluten free one day meal prep! Prep the night prior and be ready to take on the day with four easy recipes: Breakfast: Berry Chia Seed Parfait Lunch: Quinoa & Greens Buddha Bowl Snack: Sliced Apple and Nut Butter Dinner: Sesame Ginger Instant Noodles…Read More ›
Twist Eats: Crock Pot Black Beans
Starting the Arbonne 10 day cleanse today and batch cooking for the week! We are super excited for the Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili recipe. But, it calls for 2 cups of cooked black beans – NOT CANNED! Yikes, no time for traditional bean soaking and cooking today. We found this great option for…Read More ›
Twist Eats: No Bake Peanut Butter Energy Balls
We are totally crushing on The Conscious Dietitian! Check out this beautifully written and documented blog from a writer out of Victoria, BC. We came across this simple recipe when it was featured in Fitness Magazine and made them for our 2017 yogis in Twist Yoga Teacher Training as a little Mother’s Day pick-me-up. They…Read More ›
TWIST Eats: Meatless Monday Buddha Bowl Recipe
On Mondays, sometimes we have to “make-up” for the weekend (if you catch my drift) and this recipe for the perfect, easy, fast, gluten free, and vegan meatless Monday buddha bowl is the ticket. It’s easy to make-ahead, customize, and throw together when the inevitable “hangry” (hungry + angry) hour hits. Use this as a…Read More ›
TWIST Eats: How to get Protein from Plants
Sometimes, we want to take ‘Meatless Monday‘ a little longer and get protein from plants alone. But, it’s hard to know how much and what to eat. It’s true — all plants and vegetables contain protein. In fact, according to one of our favorite websites, The New Potato, “spinach and kale have nearly twice as much…Read More ›
Twist Eats: Quinoa Egg Power Bites a la Kathryn Budig
Whip up a batch or two of these little suckers, and stow them away in the freezer for quick breakfast, lunch or dinner solutions. Gluten free, high protein, and vegetarian … viola, deeeeelish! You can add in any veg or cheese combo that your heart desires. We went with red pepper, nutritional yeast, chives, finely…Read More ›